Thursday, November 3, 2011

Candy Corn Cupcakes

Seriously, aren't these the cutest things in the whole wide world?!

Candy corn is one of those odd foods for me. Like peeps. They taste like super fake gross sugary-ness, but they taste like Halloween. Or Easter, I lost track of which one we're talking about. Either way, gross and amazing at the same time. And adorable.

I half made these just as an excuse to use my new mini cupcake maker. Well, by "new," I mean my sister got it for me for my birthday last year and I forgot to try it out until now. I've seen these things before, but I was skeptical about them. I mean, I have a mini muffin pan, it doesn't take that much more time to just bake them the old fashioned way! Plus than I can back them 24 at a time rather than a bunch of batches of 7.

So here's my review: one, I didn't have to bother pre-heating the oven or checking the temperature, a plus in the summer when you don't want to heat up the whole house, or if you have a sketchy oven that doesn't regulate it's temperature well. Like mine. Two, it was incredibly tedious and obnoxious to refill it every seven minutes. Three, it was painful easy to clean up, wipe it down once it cools, and put it away. Overall, it worked! I wouldn't use it for another full batch of cupcakes, it just took too long, but for something like my two cupcakes or anything else with a tiny batch size, it works great!


I promise these aren't nearly as hard as they look. Just cut out a little cone from the middle. (Don't eat the cone! Yet!) I had issues getting them deep enough, you have to go almost to the bottom to make them work. Then pipe in a little blob of white icing, a little bigger blob of orange, and a bigger blob of yellow, almost to the top. Cut the very top of the leftover cone, and use it as a cap to plug up the icing hole. There you go, good as new!

2 comments:

  1. Bahaha. Icing hole... that just sounds weird. Also, WHY DID YOU NOT SAVE ANY FOR ME???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I made these like, two or three weeks ago. They would have been way gross.

    ReplyDelete