Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Two Cupcakes

So, I bake a lot. (REALLY?! We didn't notice!) Thus, the novelty kind of wears off after a point. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love baking, the issue is I can't eat everything I bake. Normally I can convince people to eat whatever I make eventually, but that's in Blacksburg. Up here, it's a different story, and I'm having issues getting rid of whatever I make. That's why I love recipes like these.


Two cupcakes. Just two. Not a batch, not a dozen, not cupcakes coming out of your ears for the next month, but two. One for now and one for later. Or one to keep and one to share, but that involves sharing. I don't want to share these. They're yummy. And I put SO much hard work into them.

Ok, that's a lie. These little guys are easy peasy. They're a "mix it up and toss it in the oven" kind of recipe. A "you can't really mess it up as long as you're paying attention" cupcake.

But you want to know the hardest part? It's a biggie, I'm warning you! Waiting to eat them. Not kidding. They smell amazing in the oven, and they're perfect to make late at night when you REALLY want something warm and yummy NOW. Don't fall for it. Right out of the oven, they taste like an egg-y mess. They smell so great, then you eat one, and it tastes like you put four eggs in it, which is not quite the desired effect. But wait until they're cool, and you'll start wishing you made a dozen!


I love the fact that you can really do whatever you want with these cupcakes. You can put whatever frosting you want on them, of course, (I used a little leftover ugli frosting,) but you can put in chocolate chips, or nuts, or cinnamon, or peppermint extract, or a little lemon, the list goes on and on! Anything you can think of! (Wait, no lemon. That would involve zesting. I hate zesting. Or you can just use the juice, I just felt like reaffirming my hatred of zesting lemons.)

I kept one vanilla and made one chocolate by adding a little cocoa powder, just because. Next time, I would add a little extra sugar to balance out the unsweetened cocoa, since the little bit of sugar just wasn't enough. Either way, I love how versatile and easy these guys are, and no leftovers!


 Sheesh, and I really need to buy more cupcake wrappers...and to practice piping frosting!


One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two
From How Sweet it is

1 egg white
2 tbs sugar
2 tbs butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 heaping tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
1 1/2 tbs milk

Whisk egg white and sugar in a bowl until combined. Add vanilla and melted butter, stir until mixed. Add flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in milk. Divide batter equally between two cupcake liners. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely, and frost as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment