Friday, February 3, 2012

Pumpkin Crepes with Spiced Cream Cheese

Only 10 cups of pumpkin left! I can see the light of day!


This has got to be one of my best pumpkin recipes yet, and that's saying something. For those of you not keeping score at home, this is the 9th pumpkin recipe I've posted. That's not counting the 5000 other ones I've tried. I know, I know, I always say this one's my favorite, that thing's the BEST, but this time I mean it. Just like I do every time.

Crepes always remind me of Montreal. My sister went to school up there, and there was the cutest little crepe shop right by her apartment, with crepes twice the size of my face. They stuffed them with creamy magic, and fruit that shouldn't be as fresh as it was in a country that never sees sun or temperatures above freezing. It was awesome.

Outside of Canada and probably France, I'm pretty sure these are the best crepes money can buy. The spiced cream cheese completes the whole thing and makes them magic. You could probably add strawberries if they were in season, or blueberries, or maple, or honey...mmm

Ok, so the crepes were good and all, but this was half just an excuse to get a food processor. It's not a great one, but it's better than the lack of food processor I had before. Also, it's a ninja brand. Yes, that's the only reason I got this one. The crepes are so easy, you literally just toss everything in a food processor, than voila, crepe batter! You can mix them up by hand, but since my pumpkin was fresh rather than canned, I wanted to get out any little pulpy blobs to make the batter as smooth as possible.

So go make some crepes. Not gonna lie, I felt pretty classy eating day-old crepes with a cup of coffee for breakfast, over some fascinating reading for my keyboard literature class. Ok, the reading was only slightly more interesting than watching paint dry. Assuming the paint's white. But the crepes were classy!



Pumpkin Crepes
From Two Tarts

1 cup pumpkin
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbs butter, softened
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Blend everything in a food processor or blender until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes. Place a nonstick pan over medium heat. Coat the pan with a little butter. Pour about 1/4 cup batter into the pan, (using a ladle makes life way easier,) lifting the pan off the heat and tilting and rotating it so that the batter forms a thin, even layer. Cook until top is set and underside is golden. Turn the crepe over with the help of a thin spatula and cook until the second side is lightly browned. Remove crepe to a piece of wax paper. Continue cooking the rest of the crepes, buttering the pan and stirring the batter before starting each one. Stack finished crepes between sheets of waxed paper. Makes 10-12 crepes.



Spiced Cream Cheese

8 oz (one block) cream cheese, softened
4 tbs butter, softened
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients. Mix well, and enjoy on a bagel or some pumpkin crepes!

1 comment: