Friday, February 10, 2012

Lemon Cake with Whipped Frosting

I love birthdays. Birthdays mean cake.


My birthday was this past weekend, and yes, I made my own cake. I'm lame, I know. I thought about guilting someone into it, but frankly, if there's one thing I want to do on my birthday, it's bake a cake!

Deep down, I was really craving that lemon cake I made my mom for her birthday. Alas, I still didn't have a bundt pan. Still, it had to be lemon, so I poked around for another recipe. I found one, whipped it up with a few sprinkles in the batter (it's funfetti! I mean, it's got fun right in the name!) and tossed together some frosting.


Long story short, the cake was kinda meh. If you're looking for a lemon cake, just stick with this one. But that frosting? It was good! It was a whipped, egg white based frosting that had the texture of a really light meringue. It was great. Didn't hold up too well in the fridge, but it made the cake not suck!

And just in case you were wondering, notice what I didn't get for my birthday? A lemon zester. Poop.


Whipped Frosting
From Martha Stewart

3 large egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
A pinch of salt
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a heat proof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar, salt, and water. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until glossy, stiff peaks form (do not overbeat), about 3 minutes; reduce speed to low, add vanilla extract, and beat just until combined. Use immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment