Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

I opened up my freezer the other day to a beautiful, yet terrifying sight; 12 cups of pumpkin. You guys thought I baked too much pumpkin stuff before? You ain't seen nothing yet!


Pumpkin bread. Basic, simple, and most importantly, gets rid of 2 cups of tastiness.

I found these little molds on sale at Crate and Barrel, and thought they would be perfect for pumpkin bread. They're a kind of awkward size, too big for a single serving, too small to share, but they're sure cute, I wish I had gotten more!


No matter the size, this recipe is good, but not very sweet, which I was in the mood for. I messed with it a little to make it more pumpkin spice, less sugary sweet. The recipe makes two loaves (Bah! Too much!) or a dozen of these mini loaves. I have a funny feeling I'm going to be eating pumpkin bread for a long time!

Note to self; don't buy so many pumpkins next year. It's not going to work, this is the second year in a row I've had a gallon of pumpkin leftover this time of year. I'm getting a little desperate here, anyone have more pumpkin recipes they love? And anyone want to come help me eat all these pumpkin concoctions? I've got two more cups down, but a million to go!


Pumpkin Bread
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup vegetable oil
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups (15 ounces) canned pumpkin
2/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil and sugar until combined. Add eggs, pumpkin, water and vanilla and whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix gently until combined. Stir in nuts.
Divide batter evenly between two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for 60 to 80 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the bread from the oven and place the pans on a cooling rack. Once the breads are completely cool, turn out of the pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment