Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Onion Scones

I think it was about fourth grade when I discovered my love of onions. We were learning about plant cells vs animal cells in class, and got to compare them with a microscope. (Ooh! Aah! It was pretty darn exciting in fourth grade, trust me.) The animal cells were our own cheek cells using a CSI-ish mouth sample, and the plant cells were from that super-thin, papery layer in onions.


Butter, garlic, and onion. Looks gross, smells like heaven!
The class freaked. Everyone in the back of the room started crying as my teacher cut the onions, while the front of the room started whining that they were going to smell icky all day. Except me. No, little Jackie was a budding chef already, and thought they smelled amazing. Maybe a little too amazing. I may have snuck a few chunks of onion when nobody was watching. Ok, I ate about half an onion that day, don't judge me, I was a strange child.

Anyway, I still love onions. They've been overshadowed by my love of (cough cough, obsession with) garlic, but they still hold a special place in my heart.

So I made scones. They're super-duper tasty, and super-duper easy. They're onion-y, without being too strong, they bring out more of the sweet side of the onions instead. It took a lot of self-control to not eat them all...so much warm onion-y-ness...om nom nom!


***

This is a public service announcement!!!

This week is baritone awareness week. Baritones don't get a baritone appreciation month (mellophone appreciation month is January!) because nobody is even aware of our brassy brethren, the social rejects of the band. This trombone-range mini-tuba never made it into the world of the heroic orchestral brass, is favored by the trombone in jazz bands, and was kicked out of the brass quintet in favor of two trumpets. (Seriously, one trumpet is enough, what quintet wants to deal with TWO of them?!) Anyway, for my non band geek friends...


This is a baritone. It's like a mini tuba.


This is a marching baritone, aka a "tone." It's like a big mellophone. (A mellophone is like a big trumpet, it's what us horn players march with.) This is my friend, Tone Buddy. I think he has a real name too, but I can never remember it.

So there, now you are aware. Spread the word, love the baritone! I promise they're not that bad!

***

Onion Scones

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (Or three. Or four.)
1/3 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 tbs sugar
1 tbs baking powder (yes, one tablespoon, it's a lot, I know)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup light cream or evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten


In small, microwave-safe bowl, combine onion, garlic, and butter. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then stir. Microwave for another 1-2 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper and salt in large bowl. Add sauteed onions and butter, light cream, and egg. Stir just until combined. Gently press the dough together with your hands to form a ball.
On an ungreased cookie sheet, press dough into an 8" circle. Cut the circle into 8 wedges. Separate the wedges slightly. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned. Brush with more butter and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment