Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mini Pecan Pies

Despite the fact that everyone showed up to our May Christmas party in shorts and t-shirts, I was still determined to bake the wintery-est things I could think of, and that meant pecan pie. Don't ask me why, but in my house, pecan pie pretty much always means mini pecan pies, not one big one. In fact, I don't think I've ever made a normal pecan pie before! Either way, it makes them much easier for parties, no need to bother with cutting, and plates, or even leftovers, because these little guys sell FAST.


And just to clear up a common misconception, I don't make my pie crusts from scratch, don't judge me. Store-bought crusts are tasty, and look better, and they're cheap, and I just suck at making my own. There, now you know my deep-dark secret, can you love me anyway?


Just fill them up and pop them in the oven, easy as pie! (Tehe, PIE!) But what's Jackie's magic trick to getting the goop in the crusts without making a ginormous, sugary mess?


A turkey baster! Ok, so it was my sister's idea, she'll complain if I don't give her credit. We have a specific, dollar store turkey baster that we use just for pecan pies so it won't get the normal one sugary and gross, but I'm pretty sure we clean it out well enough that it doesn't matter. Either way, a genius solution that works like a charm!


When they first come out of the oven, all the goop bubbles up and they look kind of like snot pies. I promise they chill out and look more normal in a few minutes! They'd probably look less snotty also if I had used dark corn syrup instead of light like the recipe called for, but I just used what I had, still tasty!


I lost track of how many of these little guys I ate. Warm or cold, they're soft and gooey, and sweet but not too sweet, and incredibly addictive! I want to try and figure out something artsy to do with these guys and ice cream! Ideas?


After the Christmas party. I think they were a hit!



Mini Pecan Pies
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

3 eggs
⅔ cup sugar
Dash salt
1 cup dark corn syrup
⅓ cup butter, melted
Pecans
Pie crust

Beat eggs slightly with a mixer or a fork. Add sugar and salt, stir until dissolved. Stir in corn syrup and melter butter, mix well.
Line cups of a mini-muffin pan with pie crust. Fill each crust half way with egg mixture. Crumble pecans into crusts until full. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack.  Makes about 4 dozen.

5 comments:

  1. What?! No pictures of us eating them?! Hmph...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture came out kind of awkward, sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do know what size to cut the pie crust to fit in there right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. only your family would have a mini pecan pie specific turkey baster

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a set of Ikea glasses that happen to make circles the perfect size, they're 2 1/2 inches across

    ReplyDelete